Subject: Re: [Leica] 11817
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 09:59:08 EDT

In a message dated 7/5/99 10:56:51 PM Eastern Daylight Time, P2CON@aol.com
writes:

<< Lets hear it from the rest of you Luggers. Is the 11817 a dog, or might it
be
 a fine and delightful lens like most other Leitz glass?

 Regards, Paul Connet >>

I have 3 Summicrons, the chrome one from M2 days, the 1969-79 version (I
guess that's the 11817 you're speaking about) and the latest version. I think
they're all super lenses.  The 11817 is higher contrast than the older 50 but
gives up a *bit* in resolution; the latest version Leica seems to have
figured out how to avoid any compromise.  Having been seduced by lens lust
into buying the latest lenses (21,35, 50, 90 and 135) I'd have to say that
with the exception of M6 metering capability of the 21 ASPH over the 21 SA, I
probably wouldn't do it over again.  When I hike with my 6x9, I still carry
an M4 or M42 with the 21,35,50,90,and 135 of '70's vintage.  They're all
smaller than the latest lenses and they all (except the 21) take the same E39
filters including the much smaller discontinued swing-out polarizer.  The 35
and 50 share a clip-on hood as do the 90 and 135.  Whatever gains Leica has
imparted to the newest lenses has come at a compromise to efficiency and
portability, unfortunately for me in the case of backpacking this has to take
precedence over marginal optical improvements.  I realy hadn't stopped to
consider that when I bought the newer lenses.  Like any tool or instrument
you've really got to test and judge for yourself and not necessarily depend
on others' viewpoints.

DT