Subject: Re: [Leica] 11817
From: "Bud Cook" <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 07:33:35 -0500

I can't speak to the relative optical merits of the various 50mm Summicrons
but I believe that the Rigid Summicron was as close to a cost-no-object lens
as it gets and that the Summicrons that followed it were (at least in part)
influenced by cost cutting measures, i.e. flat surfaces.

I had heard many years ago that the elements of the Rigid (and D/R) were
individually graded and then lenses were assembled using this information.

Bud