Subject: Re: [Leica] 11817
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 23:40:37 EDT

In a message dated 7/5/99 9:48:51 PM Central Daylight Time, P2CON@AOL.com
writes:

<< Well, now, what are we to do about this pickle?  We have been informed
that
 the 50 Summicron 11817 is the best of the best thru an article in the
 "Viewfinder." Then we have had the article ridiculed by a couple of our
 resident experts, who claim it must be false or at least "inaccurate" based
 on their personal opinions. Marc Small, commenting on his ownership and use
 of three 11817's, that they were disappointing and clumsy to use. Mark
 Rabiner slammed the article as "presumptuous" and said the best Summicron 50
 is the one he owns because Erwin said it was.

 Now, I just happen to own a 50 Summicron 11817 and I like it and do not find
 it clumsy or disappointing to use. I have also researched the Erwin Puts
 papers and posts regarding 50 Summicrons and can find NO mention of tests he
 has done on the 11817, or comparison of the 11817 to any other 50 Summicron.

 Lets hear it from the rest of you Luggers. Is the 11817 a dog, or might it
be
 a fine and delightful lens like most other Leitz glass?

 Regards, Paul Connet

From Irwin:
50mm 2.0
The Summicron f/2,0 (1e gen: 11818) from 1953 has a very good rendition of
very fine colour hues and gradation. The contrast at full aperture and also
at f/2,8 is low, giving the shadows a flat and lackluster appearance. The
overall contrast is low and pictures at these two apertures are a little
flat. From f/4,0 the lens is very good, but never reaches the clarity and
contrast of the newer generations. The second generation (11819) is much
better, but just outclassed by the third generation(current: 11825). The
third generation has been produced in several variations. Optically all these
versions arethe same. The production from 1989 seems to benefit from a
general upgrading of quality control and better mastering of production
techniques. The lens has a high contrast image at full aperture and can
resolve extremely fine details with good clarity and micro contrast. My own
testing shows at least 80 linepairs/mm (at f/5,6) with Fuji Velvia. Optically
one of the very best in the Leica lens line.

Not sure that I have seen him offer an opinion relative to the  11817 lens.
It is still my opinion the 50 mm DR Summicron has higher resolving power than
the current 50's but it does not have as high contrast.

For some reason Irwin does not wish to use numbers in expressing opinions
regarding the various lenses even though Leica and Zeiss do.

Would not throw away the 11817 lens.  Why not run your own tests and see what
you come up with?