Subject: Re: [Leica] Ergonomics and Leicaflex/Leica R Cameras.
From: Doug Herr <71247.3542@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 21:47:23 -0500

On Tue, 16 Feb 1999, Ferrel Anderson wrote:

>Of all the Leica SLR cameras, I find that the original Leicaflex
(Leicaflex
>Standard Mark 1 and Mark 2) has the best ergonomics.  The body is just the
>right size to fit my hands, the shutter release in the perfect position,
and
>the weight and balance are also superb.  I have found that I can take much
>sharper pictures with this camera handheld at low shutter speeds than I
can
>with my Leica RE and R6 cameras.  I also use the Leicaflex SL camera, but
>find that its slightly greater height degrades its ergonomics.  I have
held
>the R8 camera, but find it to be too large and not as friendly as the
>Leicaflex.  Another advantage of the Leicaflex is the viewfinder.
although
>it is more difficult to focus than the R cameras, and you cannot determine
>depth of field with it, once it is in focus the image is bright,
contrasty,
>unobstructed, without color cast, and unequaled.
>
>On the other hand, the RE and R6 cameras are superb.  Their vastly
superior
>features make them much better cameras than the Leicaflexes, and I use
them
>almost exclusively.  Unfortunately, they are too small, and the bodies are
>too thin.
>
>It is always a pleasure to use the Leicaflexes, and to realize that they
are
>truly unique and wonderful cameras.  Too bad the R series cameras don't
>share their ergonomics.
>
>Ferrel Anderson

Ferrel,

No argument from me.  Unfortunately the original Leicaflex doesn't work too
well for me 'cuz I use long and macro lenses frequently, and the
non-focussing viewscreen and external meter cell work against me.  The SL's
ergonomic design IMHO is nearly as good and with the added benefits of the
full focussing screen and limited-area TTL meter makes it a better choice
for me.

Not only are the R-series (through R7) cameras too small for my hands but
the viewfinder isn't as brilliant as the SL's, and using manual mode is not
as simple as normal operation of the SL.

Having written this, I find I use the R-bodies in auto mode (in my case the
R4sP) more for family snapshots and the SL for precise work.  I haven't
used an R8 for more than a few minutes so I don't know how it would work
for me.  It's feature list is definitely overkill for me.

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999,  Alex Hurst wrote:

>I certainly find my SLs an ergonomic delight, and the weight is an
>advantage in terms of keeping the camera steady. This is also true of my
>weighty N^^^^ Fs and F2s - tho' they're certainly not as comfortable to
>hold or use as the SLs.
<SNIP>
>It's slightly ironic that heavier SLRs should be to more to my taste,
while
>I value my M rangefinders for precisely the opposite qualities of
lightness
>and compactness. Maybe it's something to do with all that frantic activity
>that happens inside an SLR when you press the shutter release?

Alex,

As well as the mirror's activity, I'd guess that the position of the
viewfinder eyepiece has something to do with it your (and my) preference
for a heavier SLR than RFDR.  The SLR's viewfinder, being more centrally
positioned, leaves less room for my right hand than an M does, so the
larger body feels more comfortable.

Doug Herr
Sacramento