Subject: Re: [Leica] Ergonomics and Leicaflex/Leica R Cameras.
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 11:40:14 +0000

Bob Figlio wrote:
>For me the R7 is about right after the the old Leicaflexes. I had a whole
>series of R cameras up to the 6 and kept the R3 (for its size) and the R7 (for
>everything it does well).

I certainly find my SLs an ergonomic delight, and the weight is an
advantage in terms of keeping the camera steady. This is also true of my
weighty N^^^^ Fs and F2s - tho' they're certainly not as comfortable to
hold or use as the SLs.

I find the R3 a little small with some fiddly controls and certainly not as
well laid-out. The addition of a winder and grip certainly improves
stability and means you can concentrate on the picture-taking without
removing the camera from your eye.

It's slightly ironic that heavier SLRs should be to more to my taste, while
I value my M rangefinders for precisely the opposite qualities of lightness
and compactness. Maybe it's something to do with all that frantic activity
that happens inside an SLR when you press the shutter release?

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst
Cork Florists