Subject: [Leica] Re: Loading the film
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 01:37:31 +0100

snip snip
>I still struggle with the film loading.
>
>I use Fuji chromes, Kodak Print, and Ilford B&W films, and can
>say that the Ilford Delta and Chromogenic films always go right
>in and load, the Fuji films usually do this, Astia always, Velvia
>mostly, and the Kodak films are about 50-50, the Chromogenic
>and Royal Gold films being almost impossible to get right the
>first time.
>
>This may be statistically meaningless,  but I have found the
>behavior to be as indicated after putting several hundred rolls
>through.  I won't speculate as to whether it's film thickness,
>shape of the leader, surface smoothness of the leader, or just
>the frame of mind I'm in using these films at those times.

snip etc
>Norm

I sympathise, we've been using Leica's for a similar amount of time and
film, and my experience is similar to yours. I think it is to do with the
amount of curl the film has. FP4 drops in fine, but Acupan 200 gets snagged,
for example. The cassette won't drop in fully because it gets caught on the
left (looking down) side of the film rail, as if the rail on the cassette
side is a bit too long, so whatever clever stuff you do on the take up
spool, the film won't load. The curlier films get caught, others don't. I
think there's a knack of dropping the cassette down at the same time as you
pull the film across which will become automatic with experience. In the
meantime I check that the film is aligned and over the film rail on the
cassette side, then it always works. (I don't mean to sound smug about it as
I still haven't become fluent with it under pressure of time or the
expectant gaze of photographees!)

Alex

                         alex@zetetic.co.uk
    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~abrattell/