Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Loading the film
From: Dave Richards <dprichards@uswest.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 15:47:08 -0600

When I first got my M6 I was a bit intimidated by the loading process,
being more used to the completely open back of an SLR.  Just about that
time Tina Manley posted a message with a most valuable recommendation.

Extend the film out of the cassette until it is long enough to reach across
the back and into the take-up spool.  Take the leader and fold it once,
about 1/8" to 1/4" from the end.  Then fold it once again, in the opposite
direction, about the same distance from the first fold.  When both folds
are completed the film has an accordion-like appearance with viewed
edge-on, like this:

           /\  /
__________/  \/

Then simply drop the cassette in and slip the end of the leader into one of
the slots in the take-up spool.  I usually ease the film far enough into
the back so the sprocket holes line up with the the advance sprocket, then
I advance the film one frame to make sure everything is working as it
should, close the back and attach the base.

I've never missed a load and have become quite adept at loading while
walking and listening to my wife talk about the things going on around us.
Pretty remarkable given that I usually have trouble walking with gum in my
mouth.

Dave