Subject: [Leica] Costa Rica and Latin American thieves in general
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 14:12:35 -0400

SNIP --

DABirkey@aol.com wrote:

AS a qualifier, my family and I lived in Costa Rica for 11 months in
1993...  I've lived in Ecuador since that time.... and visited elsewhere
as well.  I regularly take small groups of people on tours in areas
where crime is often a problem.

In general, Costa Rica is pretty safe but crime is increasing like just
about everywhere else in Latin America...

There are typically two types of thieves,  pickpocket
non-confrontational types and the armed give it to me or I shoot you
types..

SNIP --

Duane,

Thank you for one of the best short articles on non-confrontational and
confrontational street crime that I have read.  It is a great primer for
most of us, puts things in context and should be required reading for
any photographer on the move.

Best Regards,

Bill Caldwell
Northern Virginia