Subject: [Leica] Macro -Elmar f/4 100 -- How Good? Good!
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 13:59:00 -0400

SNIP --

Gib Robinson wrote:

I own relatively early versions of both the 100 f/4 Macro Elmar and the
180 F/4 Elmar. I like them both. While I'm sure the APO versions would
be an improvement, I certainly wouldn't "badmouth" the Elmars. Of
course, they are also more portable than their 2.8 counterparts and use
the same filter size as the other R lenses I own (except the 400).

SNIP --

Gib,

One never has to apologize for the Elmar.  I have both the f/4 100mm
Macro-Elmar and the APO f/2.8 100mm Macro-Elmarit.  The Elmar has given
me many, many great frames.  With a 14226 retaining ring, the
Macro-Elmar uses Series 7 filters.  It's normal filter size is an E55.
Its only limitation is the f/4 aperture and focusing in failing light.
The Macro-Elmarit f/2.8, for me, is easier focusing under most
conditions, but with close objects it is a longer clock-wise crank out.

Gib, you are right about the weight, the Macro-Elmar's weight is .540
kg, while the Macro-Elmarit is .840 kg.  The APO-Macro-Elmarit focusing
range is a bit closer .45 meter vs. .60 meter, but you are talking
trifles for most users.  One of my 100mm lenses is always on a R-body
for use.

Best of Light,

Bill Caldwell
Northern Virginia