Subject: [Leica] R-7
From: Jeffcoat Photography <jeffcoatphoto@sumter.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 14:15:14 -0400

Bob Keene: Hi bob, I'm new to all of this. Didn't know that there was
such a following out there. Should have known better.
    Now to the R-7. Great camera- Slightly bigger than the R-4s (have
one with winder), use mine with the winder and the grip without the
leather strap (gets in the way).
Camera can be used in Manual, Aperture priority full field integral
metering, Aperture priority Selective metering (spot), Program (Point
focus and shoot) and Shutter Priority mode. It has DX code reading
capability. As you view through the camera the F-stops are down the
right edge of the viewfinder (diode type) Shutter speed and selected
mode are read across the bottom. When in Program mode and Shutter
Priority mode the lens must be stopped all the way down for proper
functioning of the meter. While in the Shutter priority mode ( T ) the
camera's fill flash function is operational. I use this feature for
reception candids at wedding and find it's very accurate (use it with
the Metz strobes)
    As with it older siblings it's a smaller SLR but fits the hand well
and is a pleasure to work with, about the same feel as the R 6.2.  It's
a very solid camera and with care and maint. will last you the rest of
your life even with hard use. Fred Maroon, in Georgetown, uses about 4
of them in his studio and love it. If your interested call the folks at
Tamarkin, they have a store in Conn. and are great to work with. With a
CC# they "may" send you one on approval for a few days. I bought my 7
and a 24 f2.8 from them. I also recommend the R-8. I'm in my first month
with one and it's every bit a Leica and with an improved flash system.
It's a bigger camera with a new feel, but pure Leica. Hope this helps.
Cheers Wilber
(LUGger from South Carolina)