Subject: [Leica] Costa Rica Travel
From: wvl <wvl@marinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 16:49:58 -0700

> Im planning a trip to Costa Rica in July.. Ive never been that far south
> before.. so, I was wondering I should expect when I get there. Should I be
> concerned about high humidity and bring dessicant? For any of you that
> have been there, what is good to shoot down there?
>
> Im bringing 2xM6 and a 35 Summicron 35 ASPH and a 90 Summicron F2.8 (Both
> new)
>
> - -Mark

You should be concerned about high humidity and bring deodorant! On the
coasts it can be very hot and humid.I don't know how long you would have
to stay in the humid regions in order to need camera dessicant. San
Jose, the capital is in the mountains and enjoys a temperate climate all
year.

My experience two years ago was with a SLR and 28, 50, and 105 lenses. I
spent too much time changing lensed and decided that next time I would
either get a zoom or carry two bodies; a wide and short tele combo.
There are a lot of animal photos to be made and great senic landscapes
too. A wide and a tele should do it.

Having said the above, however, I would have serious reservations about
bringing such valuable equipment to Costa Rica. Like many popular
tourist destinations it has a high incidence of property theft from
tourists. IMO you will be a target walking around with two Leicas worth
the annual income of several families in Costa Rica. The theft hazard
starts right at the airport. My son studied in San Jose for a year. The
University of California program staff handouts included the warning
that thieves loiter at the output side of the carry-on x-ray conveyer
and walk off with camera bags and laptop computers while the tourist is
being body searched by security in the line. Forget about putting it in
your baggage. My friend had an  five foot aluminum fly rod case
disappear right in the terminal. My son was robbed at gunpoint in broad
daylight in the center of San Jose. The thief took his jacket, shoes and
cash. BTW, don't expect effective help from the police.

Nevertheless, the majority of Ticos are very friendly, English is widely
spoken, many expatriates from North America and Europe live there, and
it is a beautiful country. San Jose was destroyed by earthquake 90 years
ago and a ban on adobe buildings was implemented. Consequently, the
architecture is not very charming. There are virtually none of the
colonial style districts found elsewhere in Central America. Roads are
so bad that one paper features a "pothole of the week". Rental cars are
available, four wheel drive being required to see the rain forrests in
the mountains. Intercity buses are very inexpensive and feature exciting
slalom driving through the pothole obstacles. Food is very inexpensive
and most meals feature rice and beans plus an entree. Dinners can be had
for two to four dollars. Get the Lonely Planet Guidebook, have a great
time, leave the Leicas at home, and relax.

Bill Lawlor