Subject: [Leica] Re: Film loading on metal reel
From: Ron and BeeLian Miller <rkmiller001@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:56:32 -0700

As a newbie, I can appreciate how the 35mm reels can be awkward for
winding film in but after taking the advice of the LUG, Kindermann (same
as Hewes?) stainless steel reels are a cinch to do after 6 months of
newbie trails, and that's after a few weeks of testing a faux roll in
daylight.  Now it takes me no time to do two rolls at a time in the
dark. I just pre-snip the leader off (left the leader sticking out after
finishing the roll), hook the edge onto the reel, relax my grip on the
film spool (but keeping contact with the spool) so that the film twirls
slack, then resting the spool/film on the semi-cupped palm of right
hand, my right thumb and fore finger gently guide the film along the
reel edges, while left hand turns the reel itself.  So far this method
shortens my time fiddling with the film.

cheers,
bee lian