Subject: Re: [Leica] flare with 90 mm lenses
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 16:47:57 EDT

In a message dated 6/28/99 3:02:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mrabiner@concentric.net writes:

<< But I agree with Dan's dislike of the "Thin Elmarit" but feel its
 problems go beyond flare and that no lens shade could cure.
 Are we talking about the Tele-Elmarit here? I think we are. >>

I've heard from so many people who dislike this lens.  I used the "fat" one
for a number of years and the "thin" one for quite a few more, long after I'd
gotten a Summicron (which I eventually sold--the only Leica lens I've ever
sold--for an Elmarit-M).  In fact even now when I'm going to a "landscape
destination" carrying my 6x9 field camera I always pack a little Leica kit
which includes an M42 and the 90 thin tele-elmarit because I only need one
set of filters for the 35-50-90-135 and all those '70s lenses are smaller
than the current ones even if they're not the latest optics.  I have gotten
some really sharp, contrasty shots with that lens.  Of course, I have to
remember that I almost never shoot it wider than f8, usually f11 or 16.

DT