Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: OT: Good starter body
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 18:57:22 +0200

Yet another vote from me for the SL. I picked one up this week for 16.000 BEF
(around $400), including a 50mm Summicron and a beautiful ERC. As it happens today
I spent 8 hours at a photo fair, selling several items that I no longer needed. I
had put the SL on sale too, for 25.000 BEF excluding the case, but I really hoped
that nobody would buy it. And nobody did. My 10-year old son was with me; he is
going on a one-week photography camp later this summer, where he is supposed to
bring a manual SLR. I have been teaching him to use my modern Pentax AF SLR (with
a manual focus lens) but he has had a difficult time ignoring all the controls
that I had told him he did not need to use. This afternoon he played with the SL,
and understood in no time how to use the two controls that this camera has:
aperture and shutter speed. This is high quality, basic equipment--exactly what is
needed for a learner. I am keeping the SL and my son will get to take it with him
to his camp.

Nathan

Jim Brick wrote:

> I got my 14 year old son (many years ago) a well used (VG to Ex-) Leicaflex
> SL and 50mm Summicron. Mechanics and glass were perfect, but looked very
> well used. He learned on the best and had to learn the craft of photography
> because of no automation. He now has an R4sP and several lenses. And knows
> from experience the value of Leica.
>
> Jim--

Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium