Subject: Re: [Leica] Loading the film
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 15:43:04 EDT

In a message dated 6/26/99 3:22:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mrp@home.se
writes:

<< As a new M6-owner Iīm not used to the Leica-filmloading. According to the
 instruction manual you just place the film leader into the take-up chamber
 spool (in the middle of the three post assembly). This is also shown in the
 diagram of the camera housing.

 But I donīt think it is that easy. The take-up chamber spool doesnīt pick up
 the film leader like it should. I have to try several times before it works.

 Maybe I have to place the film leader through the three post assembly, but
the
 diagram of the camera housing doesnīt show that.

 I need help from you "old" Leica-user with this maybe trivial question.

 Jonas Andersson
 Sweden

I've successfully gotten the leader to catch hold in the takeup spool just by
placing it in the slot and replacing the baseplate, then winding and watching
the rewind crank turn.  However, a more critical problem for me is the film
not settling into the upper groove (channel) along the film plane.
 The M6's loading system is unchanged from the M4, and back then the film
leaders were about twice as long as they are today (thanks to the
proliferation of auto-loading cameras?).  With a longer leader, the film
winds into the top channel (that is, the one closest to the top of the
camera--the one at the *bottom* when you're holding the camera upside-down
into the channel with my fingers while the back flap is swung open.
Sometimess this takes some fiddling if the film is wavy.  I also hold the
leader in the spool with a lefet-hand finger and wind one turn so that I can
see everything's on the right track before replacing the baseplate.  The
result is maybe I don't get 37 or 38 shots on the roll, but I never get a
misload.

DT

PS: when I know ahead of time I'll be wanting to change films rapidly (well,
for a Leica anyway) I will pre-trim my film leaders with a template (the
ABLON, made for LTM cameras).  Then the M6 loading mechanism works much
better, as it was originally intended.  It's interesting but the Quick Load
spool in my M2's holds the film leader even more securely than the later
models.