Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL capacity & time (was Question)
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 07:18:55 +0200

I use XTOL as a one-shot developer. Nevertheless, I found that the time compensations listed by Kodak are necessary for me when I use diluted XTOL. Specifically, when I developed two rolls of D100 in XTOL diluted
1:1 in a tank which held 0.5l of solution, I effectively had 125ml of developer per film, or 8 films per litre and found that my negatives were too thin when I did not apply the 15% factor.

Like you say, everyone's mileage will vary. For instance, Jobo recommends against using a pre-wet with XTOL. I find, on the other hand, that I do get better results with a 5-min. pre-wet. So I do it.

Nathan

Rob Schneider-Laura Tully wrote:

> Read it again.  This section relates to reusing full-strength developer.  Perhaps for your exposure, development, enlarger, printing routine you need an additional 15%, but I don't believe it has anything to
> do with "time compensation" gyrations related to how many rolls of film you plan to soup in -DILUTED- XTOL.  I shoot Tri-X at EI 400, develop it in 68 degree F (20 C) XTOL 1:2, using between 150ml and 250ml of
> stock solution (depends on how many rolls I want to get done at a time).  I agitate (gently) for 30 seconds, then 4 (gentle) inversions in 10 seconds each minute.  I use condenser enlargers, when I can get
> access to an enlarger (don't have my own).  I develop for 8.5 minutes (that's LESS than J-109 recommends by about 20%) and consistently get Grade 2 negatives, with good shadow detail, on Ilford MGIV.  Your
> mileage may vary, indeed!
>
> Rob

- --
Nathan Wajsman