Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL capacity & time (was Question)
From: Rob Schneider-Laura Tully <robslaurat@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 21:55:20 -0400

> Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 12:14:20 +0000
> From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL capacity & time (was Question)
>
> >The current Xtol datasheet is April 1998-J109.
> >
> >On the matter of how much active ingredient to use, they are very
> >specific (page 2, "Capacity"):
> >
> >"We recommend always starting with at least 100 mL of full-strength
> >developer to prepare the diluted solution for each 135-36 or 120 roll.
> >for example, with a 1:3 dilution, this would produce about 400 mL of
> >solution. This is the minimum amount per roll, even though a lesser
> >amount may be adequate to cover the film"
>
> Yes, the data sheet is specific, but also not all that clear.
>
> The 'Capacity' section has a subsection 'Time Compensation' which states
> that the capacity is approx 15 rolls of film per litre, with time
> compensation. These three words are important. And then, if you go to the
> bottom of the page, there is a table for the time compensation. It says:
> "increase normal development time by 15% if you develop 6-10 films per
> litre and increase these times by another 15%  (that is by one-third in
> total) if you develop 11 to 15 films per litre full strength developer
> (FSD)".

<snip>

Read it again.  This section relates to reusing full-strength developer.  Perhaps for your exposure, development, enlarger, printing routine you need an additional 15%, but I don't believe it has anything to
do with "time compensation" gyrations related to how many rolls of film you plan to soup in -DILUTED- XTOL.  I shoot Tri-X at EI 400, develop it in 68 degree F (20 C) XTOL 1:2, using between 150ml and 250ml of
stock solution (depends on how many rolls I want to get done at a time).  I agitate (gently) for 30 seconds, then 4 (gentle) inversions in 10 seconds each minute.  I use condenser enlargers, when I can get
access to an enlarger (don't have my own).  I develop for 8.5 minutes (that's LESS than J-109 recommends by about 20%) and consistently get Grade 2 negatives, with good shadow detail, on Ilford MGIV.  Your
mileage may vary, indeed!

Rob