Subject: Re: [Leica] Rangefinder precision
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 01:09:48 EDT

Mark wrote:
 >So you have lenses dedicated to certain cameras but work ok on other
cameras?
 >Or only work on certain cameras?
>Can I get my one camera to work perfectly on all my lenese.
>I missed my focus on a bunch of 135 APO headshots recently and although
>I could have been otherwise delirious I was wondering if my focus
>adjustments were somehow out of wack. I was stopped down to f11 in the
studio.
>Mark Rabiner

Mark, At f11 you should have had no problem, even with the 135/3,4. I have
found that some of the really fast lenses need a bit of "tweaking" of the
camera to perform well wide open. The M3/Nocti combo is a good case in point.
At 1-1,5 meter at f1, the depth of field is minuscule and I have adjusted the
rangefinder to give me that dead on. The 75/1,4 tends to have a bias, either
it is perfect at the 2-4 meter range and slightly off at longer distance, or
off by a couple of inches in the close range. There is a way to do this,
either by adjusting the rangefinder close focus setting (that's the easy way)
or by adding or subtracting material from the focus cam of the lens (the hard
way). You can check it by sticking the camera on a tripod, remove the back
door and insert a groundglass on the filmrails of the body. Measure off from
the filmplane of the camera (I use the slightly dangerous procedure of
running a tape from the film rail, through the lens mount to a post (white)
that is placed on the floor. Measure of 1meter exactly (at f1 your depth of
field is counted in mm at 1meter), put the lens in place, place groundglass
on rail and check that the lens is focussed at 1meter on the barrel and that
the post is sharp in the rangefinder patch. If it is sharp, you are home
free, if not, you have to have the rangefinder close focus cam adjusted (and
also the rest of the rangefinder corrected, any adjustment on the close focus
cam will affect the rest of the focus-mechanism). Oh, you should leave the
shutter on B for this and use a cable release with a VERY secure clamp on the
release. The sound of a Leica shutter hitting a steel measuring tape is
rather unnerving to say the least.
 It is usually not necessary to perform this procedure on the slower lenses
or with the 35/1,4 and 50/1,4; there is enough leeway in the depth of field
to compensate. The Noctilux and the 75/1,4 does not allow any slop if they
are used wide open.
 I have done this procedure several times over the years, but I will only do
it on my own cameras or my own lenses. One of the more harrowing processes is
to add material to the focus-cam of the Noctilux. This was done using
silver-solder and a jeweller's soldering torch and the cam was later filed to
fit perfectly. The flame of the torch is VERY close to the rear element of
the Noctilux! (a winecork was inserted to absorb some of the heat and also to
protect the rear element). I had someone else do it and I have still not
worked up the nerve to do it to my latest  Noctilux and M6TTL HM. One day I
will try it though.
All the best and stay focussed,
Tom A