Subject: Re: [Leica] R 6.2
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 16:59:41 +0100

At 09:00 AM 6/23/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I use an M6 (mainly for its unobtrusiveness and optics) and an FM2N
>(for faster operation, creativity, and it's cheaper to acquire lenses).
>I've considered replacing both systems with the R6.2, and retaining the
>IIIf with 50/3. Elmar when I really need a quiet, compact package.
>How does the R6.2 compare to the FM2N?  Maybe someone who has used
>both systems can comment.  I know the specifications.  I'm more
>interested in things like handling, "user interface", loudness, etc.
>To me, the FM2N is the most intuitive camera I've ever used.
>Some of my concerns:
>Expense.  With the FM2N, a second body and lenses are relatively
>cheap.  Second body would be mainly for carrying a second type of
>film, and reducing the amount of lens-swapping when I'm pressed for
>time.
>Repair.  FM2N will probably be cheaper and/or easier to replace or
>repair, due to its popularity.
>Any comments, preferably specific to R6.2 vs. FM2N?  I'm hoping
>someone out there has used both.
>--Andrew

I've used both the FM2n and the R6, which is virtually the same camera as
the R6.2. I still use the R6 along with an R7. I like the R6 because I can
use centre-weighted metering in manual mode, which I can't do on the R7.
The R6 feels much more solid than the FM2n and the viewfinder display is
better, easier to read since it is all together in one place rather than
spread around different sides of the viewfinder, and the exposure display
seems to give more information- ie you get more of a sense of how far you
are away from the camera's suggested setting with the R6. At least that is
how it seems to me in practice. Also the display in the R6 actually signals
when it is going out of the working range- with the FM2 you just have to
try to remember that at really low light levels the FM2 meter will be
giving you inaccurate information! I didn't make this up- this is what
Nikon service dept told me. Also the R6 has spot metering and TTL flash
metering. And real mirror pre-fire, rather than self-timer-activated mirror
prefire. I also feel that the R6 handles better. There is no need to have
the wind-on lever sticking into your face in order to use the meter, for
example. But the really big diffference is the lenses.

Joe Berenbaum
mailto:joe-b@dircon.co.uk