Subject: Re: [Leica]M6 vs F100
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:41:39 EDT

In a message dated 6/22/99 2:17:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mrabiner@concentric.net writes:

<< This whole Viso thing sounds and looks beautiful to me. I am only one
 lens away from what I feel is a complete M system and this Viso thing
 screws that up for me. I know I'm going to love it and feel like I need
 a working array of those lenses although my longest lens on my Nikon had
 been a 200 for all my professional years. I rented a 300 once. So maybe
 all I'll feel I need is a macro and a 200 or 280. These lenses were made
 far enough back that I am worrying about their competitiveness on the
 modern market. I would think the Viso would be quickly agreeable to
 adaption from all kinds of other glass.
 Mark Rabiner

Actually it's more the other way around.  Those Viso lenses can easily be
adapted to Leica R mount (there are a couple of adaptors that Leitz made
which turn up frequently used, and for a resonable price, unlike the adaptor
for mounting R lenses on the M which sells for $300 or something).  That way
if you decide to segue into the R system you'll have a leg up in the
telephoto department.  Of course these lenses do not have automatic
diaphragms or camming for the autoexposure functions but they will get the
image to the film, and a sharp one at that.  The 400 f6.8 Telyt (with
shoulder stock) has a slide-trombone focus mechanism that's quite quick to
operate, and it's very hand-holdable.  Image quality wide open or at f8 is
exceptional.  With E200 and good light, mounted on a motorized R, it's the
next best thing to AF for shooting birds in flight.  This lens (and the 560
f6.8) was produced in R mount for quite a while after the Viso version was
discontinued.  The R versions usually sell for less money.  Find one lens in
Viso, the other in R.  Save some money.  (Both lenses come apart in 2 pieces.
 The rear tube is the same on both lenses, so you'll have 400 and 560 for
Viso and R use.)  Don't be shocked when you see these lenses (particularly
the 560).  They're long focus, not telephoto, so the 400 is actually 400mm
long and the 560 is 560mm long.  But they're featherweights because (this is
not a typo) they are 2-element lenses.  Lots of aluminum tubing, very little
glass.

DT