Subject: Re: [Leica]M6 vs F100
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 11:07:36 -0700

InfinityDT@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 6/22/99 12:50:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> mrabiner@concentric.net writes:
>
> << But the M isn't going to compete for your need of a 300 although I don't
>  much about the Viso thing yet. >>
>
> I've used the Viso III (instant-return mirror) + winder-M and it does work
> although I wouldn't try to say it compares with an SLR.  I do prefer the Viso
> II for its more compact proportions, even though you need to reset the mirror
> between shots.  Just a flick of the finger.  Those with M5's or M6-TTL's
> would need at least the prism from a Viso III because the II prism won't
> clear the taller bodies.  The optics made for the Viso's are really great, at
> least the ones I've tried: 200, 280, 400.  The 400 is very fast focusing and
> very light weight.  The Viso itself, with a 50 or 90 lens is a quick and
> dirty macro rig, too.
>
> DT

This whole Viso thing sounds and looks beautiful to me. I am only one
lens away from what I feel is a complete M system and this Viso thing
screws that up for me. I know I'm going to love it and feel like I need
a working array of those lenses although my longest lens on my Nikon had
been a 200 for all my professional years. I rented a 300 once. So maybe
all I'll feel I need is a macro and a 200 or 280. These lenses were made
far enough back that I am worrying about their competitiveness on the
modern market. I would think the Viso would be quickly agreeable to
adaption from all kinds of other glass.
Mark Rabiner