Subject: [Leica] Ebay IIIg is IIIa (Elshaw etal)
From: MGMcGough@aol.com
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:28:44 EDT

   Gary - Remember that the camera is in Costa Rica & the store owner did
   properly call the Leica a "G" camera but he used the European designation
   for a Mod IIIa (made from 1935 to 1948).  This incident is not necessarily
   scam to deceive but just shows how carefully one must read the fine print -
   A Mod "F" camera is actually a III & a Mod "A" is called Mod I.

   One of the biggest of the so called "Leica Scams" on eBay is the offering
   of the many Russian made esoteric "fantasy" pieces - and the new crop
   to hit the scene are extremely well made, probably in Poland but never
   saw the inside of a Leitz factory.

   A very well known LHSA member & Leica dealer runs an excellent 5 page
   illustrated eBay ad showing photos of the many fakes on eBay - but calling
   a IIIa a IIIg could be an innocent mistake, so again "Caveat Emptor"

   Mary Grace (de Milo)