Subject: [Leica] Back from Japan. Shy subjects, but FRIENDLY!
From: Dan S <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 02:09:45 GMT

Have just returned from 3 weeks in Japan and I must say that we are pretty
lucky in most other parts of the world not to pay the ridiculous prices for
used and new Leica products.
I stopped in to Yamamoto Photo in Nagano, a well stocked Leica shop and was
pretty much blown away by the prices.
Try \43000 (about 350 dollars) for an imarect.
I saw prices like 300 dollars for a new Mini 3!  I bought one in Europe for
149.00!

Anyhow, it really is a great country to photograph.  Color is used in really
dynamic ways there in the homes, stores, temples, gardens etc.

On my trips I have found the Japanese a little tough to photograph.  Not
because they don't want to be photographed, but because as soon as they
percieve you are shooting in their direction they try to get out of your
way! It seems they just can't imagine why you would want them spoiling your
shot! Most of the photography I have seen there is landscapes, nature etc,
and far less of the personal in your face stuff that I enjoy.

My wife, who is Japanese, speculated that many Japanese are too "concious"
of others to risk offending them by staring directly into their faces with
eyes or cameras.  It sounds as plausible to me as any other expaination.

As always I found the people incredibly friendly and amazingly honest.  For
example my wife left her camera on a bus in Kyoto.  It was returned to the
driver by a passenger and we picked it up at the bus terminal.  The
dispatcher who gave us our camera back also sponaneously bought us sodas and
snacks for our kids. (I hope we didn't look like were were staving!) They
give some lessons on politeness we could stand to take here in the US.  I
also was repeatedly asked about my camaras, both M6 and R4, by total
strangers.  There are actually a ton of Leica fanatics over there.  The
cameras really acted as an ice breaker on several occasions, giving  usually
reserved people an opportunity to strike up a conversation.

If any are contemplating going I HIGHLY recommend it to all.  But remember,
stay flexible about transportation, toilets and raw food.  And stay away
from the FUGU!  (that sashimi that kills you if the chef  had a bad day!)

Best wishes,  Dan