Subject: Re: [Leica] battery covers
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:51:03 EDT

What's this about slotted battery covers?  Are the new production M6's now
being supplied with slotted covers?  Holy mackerel, Leica's going to make a
ton of money.  First, lots of folks will *have* to update their M6's with the
latest gadget.  Then, those folks combined with the new purchases will be
jonesing the slot with ill-fitting coinage, so Leica'll be selling a bunch of
replacements.  Some folks will slip with the coin (or even use the
screwdriver on their Swiss army knife) and cut a gouge in the [ersatz]
vulcanite and *maybe* even scratch clean across the front plate.  What a
repair bonanza that'll be.
People, I take the batteries out of my M6's whenever I put them away for more
than a week (which is rare, because the withdrawal symptoms are so painful)
and even if not, they need changing about once or twice a year.  I really
can't recall one instance where I had difficulty removing the cover.  The pad
of my thumb seems to provide enough grip (with a little pressure) to do the
trick.  If it didn't, I always have a rubber kitchen glove in my bag (the
best thing for unscrewing *anything*, especially filters!).  To each his own,
but I think I'll put my $20 into film.

DT