Subject: Re: [Leica] Mercury vs. Alkaline Battery
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 17:10:14 EDT

In a message dated 6/20/99 12:39:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
doug@meditor.demon.co.uk writes:

<< InfinityDT@aol.com wrote:

 >It is my understanding that the adaptor made by CRIS (which takes a
 MS76 silver
 battery inside a shell the size of a 625/PX13) has the requisite
 circuitry to
 flatten the discharge curve to match a mercury battery.  At least
 that's what
 they told me.

 Last year CRIS told me that the voltage reduction was done by a
 resistor, and not by any form of active electronic circuitry, so this
 would seem to to rule out any form of flattening of the discharge
 curve.

 Regards,

 Doug Richardson

I was skeptical when they told me that it corrected the discharge curve.  Not
enough room in the little whatzis for complex circuitry, nor is it expensive
enough.  Perhaps it just works better than the average "conversion" to
alkaline 625A because the MS76 has a dischrage curve a bit more like a
mercury cell to begin with.  Too bad there's this whole problem, as so many
truly *great* cameras/meters of the past were designed to use the mercury
batteries.
DT