Subject: Re: [Leica] Big M6 - Mamiya
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 11:21:06 EDT

I thought for a while that a MF rangefinder would be a logical choice for a
Leica user, but after trying one out I was put off by the fact that there's
shallower DOF with lenses of equivalent angles of view, so judging it
mentally becomes even more of a task than with the Leica.  The 43mm on a 6x7
is like a 20/24 on the Leica, but with DOF almost like a 50.   I do use and
love a 6x9cm Horseman VHR view camera with a coupled rangefinder and
viewfinder (I guess it's a Japanese copy of the Linhof).  It's kind of like a
Big IIIa (rather than M6) because it has widely-spaced separate windows for
viewing and focusing, but also has front *and* rear swings, tilts and shifts
for full control of perspective and DOF using the additional ground glass
back which also provides for TTL viewing for positioning graduated ND filters
and polarizers, and for macro.  If I won't need all the lenses and gizmos I
prefer the Rolleiflex to the Hasselblad, which I almost never use anymore.

DT