Subject: Re: [Leica] wide-angle filter/hood question
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 09:06:10 EDT

In a message dated 6/20/99 4:08:23 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gbennett@club-internet.fr writes:

<< i put a dark yellow filter
 on my elmarit m 24 then went to put the lens hood back on - it wouldn't
 fit. well, it did slide back onto the lens, but wouldn't 'click' into place
 as the filter (b + w 023) was now blocking the little indent that permits
 the filter to 'lock' onto the lens.  >>

I have the 21 ASPH which has the same mount and hood, and I have no problem
mounting the hood over any of my E55 filters (HOYA SMC's) and in fact a Leica
UVa filter lives permanently on the lens (except when I use another filter of
course).  The few B+W filters I have seem to have rather thick mounts, so
perhaps that's the problem.  As to vignetting, I also use the Leica Universal
Polarizer on my 21 ASPH (it has it's own hood).  It does not physically
vignette but you do get an uneven effect on a blue sky due to the lens'
coverage (I only use the pola to reduce reflections).
You might try using a filter with a thinner mount (I think even B+W make them
specially for ultrawide lenses).

DT