Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Rodinal (was my M lens and b+w film test)
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 15:07:19 -0700

Christer Almqvist wrote:

> Well, I agree with (almost) everything you say, that's why I have had a
> bottle of Rodinal standing here for over two years after I had used it only
> once. The results I got using Rodinal 1+25 with Agfa 100 film in 1997 were
> not encouraging, to put it mildly, so Rodinal and Agfa films did not get
> used any more although I understand it is a combo much liked by medium
> format users. However, using a 1+100 dilution with Agfa 25 film is quite
> another story. And that little bottle has a few advantages: it hardly takes
> up any space, keeps forever (it seems) even in partly filled plastic
> bottles, and it is dirt cheap. I just got technical data sheets from Agfa
> and also their new 88 page --simply beautiful-- booklet on their b+w
> products, but there is no mention of development times for 1+100 anywhere
> there. Try 15 mins at 68° as a starting point if your are adventurous
>
> >Dan Cardish wrote:
><snip>\

Agfa has a strage disownment of it's 1/100 Rodinal technique which was
the reason I got into it in the first place. I only started useing 1/75
and now 1/50 later. I may go back to playing around with the 1/100
agaiin as a result of inspiration from the Anshell/Troop book.
But 1/25 in Rodinal is for wusses! Nobody does it! You may as well go
with D76 1:1 (which admittingly is not so terrible). The results are identical.
I would like to find out about this data sheet you are talking about.
Although getting heavy into Xtol I think I will also always have my
little brown bottle always sitting there ready for it's ultra sharp
gritty job!
Mark Rabiner
I've ordered those small brown bottles you recomended last week for my
Xtol and have switched to 1:3 over 1:2 partially to make that feasible.