Subject: Re: [Leica] Read on photography newsgroup...
From: "R. Saylor" <rlsaylor@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 16:21:31 -0400

Pascal wrote:

> I just wanted to point out that such discussions about "no-frills" vs.
> "hi-tech" cameras is pointless as everybody has his own tastes and likes,
> and own style of photographing. To me at least, it seems a waste of time
> and energy to discuss such issue again and again !

A matter of "taste" and "style of photographing?" Not on that
newsgroup. I recall the following exchange (paraphrased):

Q: I'm trying to take a picture of myself with my new Elan IIe using
the self-timer, but my face is always out of focus.

A: Use manual focus.

Q: I'm not sure I can do that. I'll try.

*************************

Or here's another typical question:

Q: I always use matrix metering, but some of my pictures are not
exposed correctly. What's wrong with my camera? It's brand new.

*************************

Not to mention all the people who spend most of their money on an
F100 (or equivalent) and have only enough left for a cheap zoom,
and then wonder why their pictures are no better than those from a
cheap point & shoot.

These people (and they are not a tiny minority) don't know enough
to appreciate either the advantages or the limitations of full
automation. If they could be persuaded to use a "no frills" camera,
they would be forced to learn enough basics in order to take full
advantage of their "high tech" equipment. For them, it's not a matter
of "taste" but rather education.

rec.photo.equipment.35mm is not the LUG.

Richard S.