Subject: [Leica] Re: New Addict
From: chefurka@sympatico.ca (Paul Chefurka)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 20:45:21 GMT

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 01:34:02 +0000 (GMT), you wrote:

>I am interested in getting a Leica. I have never owned or used one.
>
>I just want to get a basic body something like an M4 and a 35mm lens. I
>don't see myself needing any other lens maybe other than maybe a 90mm.
>
>Any suggestions?

My favorite combo is the M4 with the 35 Summicron ASPH.  It is a
magnificent kit.

Others have said that a used M4 is too expensive relative to a used
M6.  While a simple look through magazine ads may suggest this, my
experience is that it's perfectly possible to find good condition M4's
at local stores for considerably less than the Shutterbug prices.
Mine was $1400 CDN, or about $900 US a year ago, in Exc+ condition
(perfect vulcanite, some top-plate scuffs from an MR4 meter). A used
M6 would have been at least $1000 CDN more than that.

IMO the M4 is the perfect M, as long as you don't need an internal
meter.  It's got the build quality, all the frame lines you need, the
quick loading ability (faster than my F3, FWIW) and a gorgeous feel.

I think you're on exactly the right track.  Be forewarned though -
that track leads to a slippery slope :-)

Paul