Subject: Re: [Leica] Series filters for 19/2.8 R first type?
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 02:12:10 +0100

At 07:51 PM 6/18/99 +0000, you wrote:
>The filtering challenge with this lens is the curvature of the front
>element which eliminates the use of "off the shelf" 82 mm filters -
>the glass of the filter will contact the glass of the lens.
>
>Another approach with this lens is the B+W  special wide
>angle filter holder which holds an unmounted 90 mm glass filter.  It
>doesn't vignette and it separates the filter from the lens element
>
>Roy

Yes, this is effectively the same thing as the B+W wideangle filter, but
with a front ring that unscrews and allows you to use interchangeable
glass. These 82mm wide angle filters and 82mm wide angle filter holders are
both somewhat massive. Using a 20mm Flektogon I have in R mount
(subsconscioulsy I must have realised how handy it might be some day) is
looking like a much better idea. It takes normal 67mm filters with no
vignetting.

Joe Berenbaum