Subject: Re: [Leica] Heliar impressions
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 17:14:36 -0400

At 04:13 PM 6/18/99 EDT, DT wrote:
>I remember someone telling me that the Hologon vignettes so much that a
>graduated filter with a darker center fading to a clear outside is required
>to even out the light falloff.  If the edge falloff is 2 stops (f16) the
>filter would need to bring the center to f16 as well.  This is just hearsay,
>but it makes sense except that I've used the 15 f5.6 and later f3.5 Nikkors
>and they vignette some, but I never measured it at anywhere near 2 stops.
>Can't imagine the Nikkors could be better than Zeiss ; )

This isn't "hearsay":  it is in all the Zeiss literature on the Hologon and
the Leica literature on the 8/15 Hologon.  The Hologon outperforms any
other extreme wide-angle lens in terms of linearity, sharpness, resolution,
contrast, and so forth, but does vignette, and so Zeiss has always sold the
lens with a graduated filter.

Lens design is a series of trade-offs:  if you want the absolute best in
extreme wide-angle performance, the drawback is a slow lens.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!