Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm Elmar and 90mm F4 Elmar
From: Robinsnes@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 20:45:15 EDT

	Don't be so quick to sell these lenses. The older lenses may not look
as good in the bench specs, but they do fine with film. The collapsible Elmar
is a little bit smaller that the summicron and a bit lighter and fits more
compactly into the camera. The resolution seems to be fine, although I
understand that it is a 2.8 rather than f 2. So what!  Film can be pushed or
you can use a faster film. Most images will be taken at 5.6 anyhow (at least
that is where I most often shoot). Even the slides that I have shot at 2.8
are acceptable as images. The question is, do you like the images? The spots
on the front of the lens will be "out of focus highlights" and you will
probably not notice them on the images you shoot. The Elmar , according to
some of the pricing that I have seen, is a pricier lens than the summacron.
	I would recommend you live with them for a while before trying to be
rid of them. If you are too uncomfortable with that, send them here and I
will live with them for you.
	Best wishes,
	Roger
	robinsnestphotography.com