Subject: Re: [Leica] Useful tripod ?
From: Robinsnes@aol.com
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 13:19:42 EDT

	Wow! This is an interesting question to me as I am addicted to
shooting off a tripod whenever possible. Professionally I use a Benbo and
think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have a Bogen model 3036
which I consider too heavy and awkward to take out into the field, however, I
do like it and use it quite frequently around  the studio and for pet
portraits where I have to be positioned near the ground at their level.
	When I am out with the M machines for fun, I carry a tabletop Leitz
tripod with the large Leitz head. (I recently saw the prices for these and
was overwhelmed.) I have owned mine for more years than I care to remember
and have always found it a wonderful tool to brace against any available
surface for a firm and solid support.
	I have wondered about the Cullman as they advertise it is extremely
portable. I have not been able to see one at any retailer and evaluate it. I
don't know anyone who has one. Ususally light means flimsy and ultimately
useless.
	 I have switched to the Bogen grip (joystick) head on both the bogen
and benbo tripods. It is the greatest. I have come to dislike the usual heads
that are built onto the tripod. Also, somewhere I have a spare tiltall unit.
It was a good tripod but I have found that I rarely use it if I have the
benbo at hand. I drive a van and the benbo is usually with me always. I have
wondered about the lighter benbo and there is a company in Canada that makes
a tripod similar to benbo but with (they claim) a more comfortable and secure
locking mechanism. I have never seen one in person, on the spec sheets.
	Sorry for the long rambling dissertation on 45 years of owning
tripods. I hope this gives you a place to start.
	Good Luck
	Roger
	robinsnestphotography.com