Subject: Re: [Leica] Shutter problems on SL2?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:27:34 -0700

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

><<<<<However, last Saturday Pieter Krigee of Foto Nivo-Schweitzer in
>Amsterdam told me that SL2s shutters have a tendency to "stick" at the
>top speeds, 1/1000 and 1/2000. My SL2 seems all right at those speeds as
>well,  can any SL or SL2 owners comment on this? Thanks!>>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Nathan,

Pieter Kriegee maybe right in some cases, but for the number of years that
I worked my SL2's and motors I never experienced anything of that nature.
And I worked at the top end speeds more than the slow shutter speeds.  Nor
do I recall any rumours or complaints of a sticking condition.

Actually they worked like a dream all the time that I had them, but for one
small incident when I bumped one off a camera bag to a concrete floor!
Kinda did something to the electronics. :)  And my pocket book for the
repair. :(

When I traded the 3 of them for new R4's they were all working and "if"
common sense prevailed I should have kept them. But you know how it is when
hew toys come on the market...."WOW! Gee whiz I gotta change to the new
version!"  :)

I don't really think letting your SL2 sit on the shelf for a couple weeks
and then using it is going to make much difference in finding out if the
shutter is sticking at the high end.

Better you use it at those top speeds and shoot at a white background using
a dozen rolls of film, if it's ging to stick I'm sure with a test like that
you'll find out. (slightly expensive) :)

Then develop them to see if the exposure is even across each frame. Either
that or take it to a camera repair shop, have them put it on a shutter
speed testing unit and have them fire it a bunch of times.  They can detect
any sticking and also tell if the shutter speeds are correct.

Eliminates very quickly any concern whether its functioning properly or not.

Probably cheaper than a dozen rolls of film and developer. :)

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant