Subject: Re: [Leica] was Leica and Rolex, now GP
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 23:53:51 +1000

Lucian Chis wrote:

> And they designed
> the first mass-produced quartz watch in 1969. And so they imposed the
> frequency of the quartz (32.77 kHz (approximately)) which all quartz
> watches use nowadays.
> Sort of like Leica and 24X36mm format!
>
> Lucian

Lucian,

This may be a late replay, but better late than never.
The quartz frequency of 32.77kHz  (32,768 to be exact) was not invented or
specifically started by any watch maker. It is a natural binary progression
when a resulting frequency of 1 Hz is required. I used some old circuits which
used this frequency to arrive at the 1 Hz requirement. However in the early
days, the quartz crystals for this frequency where quite big and expensive to
make. They where normally contained in an evacuated glass envelope. For this
reason a crystal with the frequency of 3276.800kHz was used. This crystals
where small and cheap to manufacture. they also exhibited a better temperature
coefficient. The drawback was, the binary part of the division only went down
to 100Hz and to arrive at 1Hz, a decadic divider had to be used.

The modern crystal used in watches are manufactured with a completely
different technique. They are extremely small. Temperature stability is not a
big issue, because the temperature of a wrist watch when worn is quite stable.
The relatively low frequency of only 32 and a bit kHz also helps to keep
battery consumption down. The current consumption of the  C-Mos circuitry used
in watches is directly related to the operating frequency used.

Regards Horst Schmidt