Subject: Re: [Leica] New 75mm lens for Leica
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 00:15:55 +1000

m037iu00@cwcom.net wrote:

> Horst,
> Thanks for the reply,
> The Dallmeyer lens you have is quite rare, don't seel it off cheap! The 85/2 was a lens
> that I owned at one time, this was also the exchange lens for me acquiring something more
> usable, my 28mm Ricoh!
> The 75/1.9 is of course my own creation, cobbled together to work on the camera, it will
> be interesting to see how well it fares. I also had a 135/4(.5?) Dallmeyer Dalrac which
> serviced me very well for many years.
>
> Having said it is coated it does not refer to Dallcoating on the front lens rim, I am
> merely going by the bluish tinges when looking at reflections from light sources, perhaps
> this is natural 'blooming' and not a coating at all, perhaps the lens is pre-war? Do you
> know if there are any guides to serial number / production for this marque?
>
> best regards,
>
> Jem
>
> Jem,

Thanks for your interesting replay.The Super Six I have here does a  good job. But i noticed
with this lens and other non coated lenses, if they have about 6 or more glass elements, it
is wise to increase the exposure by one value. It seems, coating makes quite a big difference
to the light transmission. I would say, an uncoated 6 element lens with a f-stop of 2, would
be equivalent to a modern coated lens of f 2.8.I don't know the serial numbering of the
Dallmeyer lenses, But Marc Small may have a some idea.

Natural blooming. I have read in some photographic book, that natural blooming can happen and
also improves the lens performance. But I suppose this is a relatively uncontrolled
environment and prone to great variations.