Subject: [Leica]graphing the Georgetown Loop Railroad
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 21:44:05 -0600

This weekend, I got out to Georgetown, Colorado, which lies about 50
minute's drive west of Golden, on I-70. This was gold and silver-mining
country, and the old mines can still be readily seen dotting the
hillsides. Some of the old structures are large-format photographer's
dreams, but that'll have to wait for a return trip...

Without delving too much into the towns of Silver Plume and Georgetown,
which certainly are photo-worthy, I'd say that the tiny Georgetown Loop
Railroad ( www.gtownloop.com ) is a real treat for the railfan, or
anyone looking to breathe in (sometimes literally!) a bit of the west in
the days when silver and gold were king.

Of particular interest to the railfan are the unusual narrow gauge Shay
locomotives, which were well-suited to this short line, with it's curves
and steep grades. This was the first time that I'd seen a steam
locomotive in action, and I found the old "Iron Horse" metaphor apt, as
these locomotives snort and hiss, even while at rest, though no horse
ever belched great black clouds of smoke while running downhill on a 4
percent grade!

Though a short ride, the trip is not lacking in drama, as it winds
through mixed pine and aspen forest, over creeks, and finally, the
dramatic Devil's Gate High Bridge, before practically corkscrewing down
into Georgetown.

On a hunch, I took the Leica M, rather than the Hasselblad, and I'm glad
I did, because, this being my first time around operating steam
locomotives, I did a good deal of scurring about, photographing the
engine taking on water at Silver Plume (90mm Summicron), the tidy engine
house containing Shay #12 and, as a tourist, photographing the
locomotive from the vantage point of one of the open-air gondolas (35,
50 mm). I did take a few overall shots of the locomotive in action, but
had most fun zeroing in on smaller-scale dramas, such as the fireman
lowering a water spout into the tender's gaping maw <-- (poetic licence
taken). There, I've gone only wide enough to show the Georgetown Loop RR
nomenclature on the tender, and to reveal the water tower as, well, a
water tower. Go in too tight, and the photo loses context for most
viewers. I'll return with a larger camera + tripod sometime, and will
have the advantage of knowing exactly where I want to place the tripod!

In all of the excitement, I completely failed to shop for exotic pens or
wristwatches. Nuts. :-)

Jeff