Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica and fountain pens
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 21:41:47 -0600

Lucian Chis wrote:

> Here is a guiding principle for getting the best in everything:
> Check first the manufacturer that first produced the item (or invented
> it)(don't start a thread on 35mm now), while they are around:
> Try Waterman first for fountain pens,
> Try Mercedes first for cars,
> Try Leica for 35mm cameras,
> Try Rolleiflex for TLR,

Try an original Henri Cartier Bresson print for inspiration to get out
there and photograph with the Leica, when the Mercedes is in the shop,
the Waterman is leaking and the Rolleiflex TLR is being, well, a
Rolleiflex TLR.

I like my Mont Blanc Meisterstuck 149 fountain pen: It's stout like
Alfred Hitchcock, sports a silly snow-capped peak, and in a most
ostentatious manner, pays homage to the mountain's 4810 meter height,
which is painstakingly engraved onto the two-tone nib: A wonderful
visual joke which transforms the "fountain pen" into the "mountain pen"
, delivered with a master's deadpan delivery! I could go on and on about
such matters as their witty use of the term "precious resin" in place of
"plastic", but this *is* a Leica-users group, after all.

Quick-what is the look of barely-supressed laughter?

Jeff