Subject: [Leica] Leica] re: Leica M advice wanted
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 23:10:21 -0400

"Aubin" <aubin@aa.net> wrote, in part:

snip
<<For a long time I used the 28mm/50mm/90mm combo, finally
switching the 28 for a new 24mm.  The difference in the coverage
and the image quality between the 28 and the 24 is astounding,
but I have no complaints against the 28, its still a dang fine
lens.>>
snip

<<I found I used my 90 only when making
deliberate portrait shots of friends, under very specific circumstances,
and the 50 did the job as well, most times.  The problem for me was
always one of balancing the amount of wide angle coverage I
needed, so I opted for the 24, since it was more than enough >

I'm considering the 24asph. I was deeply enveloped in 28 until I sold it for
a 19 (current).  Of course the 50 summicron (m here) is or should be a
required lens (i.e. no Leica passports on anything until then)  I find (as
'most' do) that the 35mm is the natural extension of M. The 19 elmarit is
outstanding, not only optically but optically.  The latter pertaining to how
refreshing it is to compose via  a 19 (wider is nauseating)
Currently in R I use 19-35-100 R which is a good group. 35 summicron and 50
summicron no question M. The in-betweens are preferences. Not to even things
out: the M is an M nothin' like it and people realize this about a second or
two after just picking it up (nu?)
This being said the 28M is too close to 35, but not necessarily.  The
24asph - on the M6 is how much 'more' than the total view. Not enough to
need a finder - but what's the frame line - a bit more and 100 rolls? Shoes
are in the shots?  I don't shoot much people  (and hate to be shot),.
Architecture.  Structures, in all forms.  The tele is another thing.  The
wides - I pop into infinity.  I appreciate any input on 24asph/28.