Subject: Re: [Leica] Serious question about fast lenses
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 20:07:53 -0400

Bernard wrote:

My problem is the Canon IS lenses. If this really works, then why do we
need fast lenses? I've seen some graphs which report a resolution-loss
when the IS is on, but does that really show versus a "normal" lens
which is all shaky at slow shutter times?
<<<

My response has nothing to do with the shorter IS lenses but everything to
do with the longer ones.  I've found that for just about any situation
other than at airports or political events <g> the shoulder stock gives me
as much stabilizing effect as I've heard claimed for IS technology.

For example, 1/60 sec for the 280 or 400, 1/125 sec for the 560 are very
usable shutter speeds providing excellent results.  I haven't tried any
shutter speeds below 1/60 'cuz I'd get too much subject motion and besides
the shutter on the SL isn't continuously variable between 1/30 and 1/60.
Advantages of the shoulder stock include using the stock with any lens that
has a tripod socket and not having to engage/disengage or switch IS modes.
Disadvantages are the bulk of the stock and its superficial resemblance to
lethal weponry!  Certainly there are situations where IS is benefical but
it's not a cure for all our dim-light problems.

Doug Herr
Sacramento