Subject: [Leica] Mysterious SL2 MOT
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 21:23:44 -0400

On Thursday, June 10, Nathan wrote:

Today I did something really crazy...I bought a Leicaflex SL2 in
absolutely mint condition for a reasonable price. The idea is to get a
60mm macro lens for it, as this is one kind of photography that I really
enjoy and that the rangefinder Leicas are not well suited for.
<SNIP>
... as opposed to the regular SL and SL2, where the light
meter is switched off when the advance lever is in the "rest" position,
the SL2 MOT's meter is always on. This is confirmed by looking through
the camera and is also stated in the instructions. This concerns me, as
I imagine that the battery life must be very limited (after all, an M
battery will die in a matter of a couple of days if something in the bag
is pressing on the shutter release). Any SL2 MOT owners out there have
any experience with this?
<<<

Nathan,

Nothing crazy about this.  Once you get that 60mm macro and start using it
you'll see why.  What's crazy is selling it.

The M6's battery drain is the LED's in the viewfinder.  Without the LED's
the meter's battery should last several years if the camera's in the dark
or the lens cap's on.

Doug Herr
Sacramento