Subject: [Leica] problems with tenba bags
From: JIB <jbuf@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 22:55:50 -0700

- --------------6BE7B636C2BFFF95E9D6458D

I have two Tenba bags, a 995 (cost $330) and 895 (cost $295).  After
about 3 years of use I began to notice a fine dustlike powder covering
my equipment.  I checked and found out that tenba  has a five year
warranty.  I sent the bags to New York for warranty repairs, and was
informed that what I found on my cameras was the waterproofing coating
that had decayed and was coming off of the fabric.  They also said that
there was no way of repairing the bags, and that they refused to replace
them under warranty.  The only solution that I was offered was that they
would give me a discount if I wanted to buy another bag.  This I could
not understand, they refused to honor their warranty and then thought
that a good solution was for me to buy another one of there bags.
    On further investigation, I found out that the majority of
manufacturers use the spray the chemical on the fabric method of
waterproofing.  That is one of the reasons that I like Billingham bags,
they use a combination of fabrics to make there bags waterproof.  I do
not mind paying more for a well built peice of equipment, and I really
expected these bags to last until they were thread bare.  But it seems
as if Tenba bags are designed with planned obselescence in mind.

My $.02 worth
John

- --------------6BE7B636C2BFFF95E9D6458D

<HTML>
<FONT FACE="Marlett">I have two Tenba bags, a 995 (cost $330) and 895 (cost
$295).&nbsp; After about 3 years of use I began to notice a fine dustlike
powder covering my equipment.&nbsp; I checked and found out that tenba&nbsp;
has a five year warranty.&nbsp; I sent the bags to New York for warranty
repairs, and was informed that what I found on my cameras was the waterproofing
coating that had decayed and was coming off of the fabric.&nbsp; They also
said that there was no way of repairing the bags, and that they refused
to replace them under warranty.&nbsp; The only solution that I was offered
was that they would give me a discount if I wanted to buy another bag.&nbsp;
This I could not understand, they refused to honor their warranty and then
thought that a good solution was for me to buy another one of there bags.</FONT>
<BR><FONT FACE="Marlett">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; On further investigation, I
found out that the majority of manufacturers use the spray the chemical
on the fabric method of waterproofing.&nbsp; That is one of the reasons
that I like Billingham bags, they use a combination of fabrics to make
there bags waterproof.&nbsp; I do not mind paying more for a well built
peice of equipment, and I really expected these bags to last until they
were thread bare.&nbsp; But it seems as if Tenba bags are designed with
planned obselescence in mind.</FONT><FONT FACE="Marlett"></FONT>

<P><FONT FACE="Marlett">My $.02 worth</FONT>
<BR><FONT FACE="Marlett">John</FONT></HTML>

- --------------6BE7B636C2BFFF95E9D6458D--