Subject: RE: [Leica] Vario-Elmar-R 1.4/35-70 - How good??? (also some FS)
From: "Clompus, Richard [INN]" <RCLOMPUS@INNUS.JNJ.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 12:55:04 -0400

Richard and fellow LUGnuts,

I have used the 35-70/4 lens for the past 18 months.  It has been a
tremendous lens optically.  Yes it is somewhat large and the front element
turns as you focus - but it is a sweet compromise.  It is very lightweight
and its close focussing ability comes in very handy.  I have the 60/2.8 and
the 100/2.8 apo macro lenses and find their optics better but for a one lens
trip with a R6.2 or R8, this zoom lens is hard to beat.  I would recommend
it to anyone who needs this focal length in a zoom.  It amazes me how well
it works in a variety of settings.  It is not an available light lens.  I'll
stick to the 90/2 M or the 75/1.4 M lenses for this purpose.

By the way, Richard - how are you going to explain to your family the move
from M back to R?  I gave up trying and just got both systems.  Now my
choices have to do with - do I shoot color today or B&W?

Best regards.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD