Subject: Re: [Leica] Focus adjustment
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 1999 19:10:14 -0700

sandyquandt@centuryinter.net wrote:

> Although I've not had a problem with my four M6's, aside from one that needed a
> slight vertical alignment adjustment (which Leica NJ repaired within a matter
> of days) I'm curious about the implementation of the "screwdriver method." Any
> advice regarding the logistics would be appreciated, especially if the
> possibility exists that I could make adjustments myself!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sandy
>
> Mark Rabiner wrote:
> > I've had my M6 for 6 years. It hits the floor or pavement hard about
> > every other year. I had the focusing adjusted once while I stood their
> > for 40 seconds. Now I do it myself with a screwdriver.

I can tell you my experience on this but there are people on this list
with ten times my experience with Leica's and whether or not you should
really use a screwdriver on one.
I would like some conformation that doing so has some intelligent
precedence. I think it has. I like being able to make this adjustment myself.
I took a screwdriver to my Leica out of desperation because I was on the
road shooting and miles to go before I sleep. I had driven 500 out of my
3000 miles and had not gotten a shot of the Missouri river yet. I had my
camera bag on the floor like a dummy and not the seat; too much vibration.
I might have, a Month ago in a  3 AM stupor pinpoint lubed my Leica in a
few spots which seemed innocent enough but weren't. This To explain for
the focus going out more than once in a blue moon. Sometimes I panic
before a shoot and clean and lube what I really should not.
The screw is not very small and is at the top and front of the camera
when you take the lens off.
My repair guy mentioned using an angled off screwdriver as if that were
the Leica German Repair school precedent. This I did not have and could
not find the logic for needing. I did not damage the screw.
If way off at infinity your tree on the horizon is more than one tree;
or if you can focus past that tree then your focus is off. Check 10 feet
and you will see it is focussing at 8 or 12.
So very slightly turn the screw imperceptibly. If your trees have more
space between them you have turned the screw the wrong way. If your tree
(or whatever) is more like one tree you have done the right thing. You
have to keep taking the lens off and on and make sure it is focused at
infinity when it is on.
Don't do this right now if your camera is off. Wait for some other
opinions from people who have hands on experience or definite know how.
Or ask your repair person. I would have never done this in the first
place unless I was in a bind. I didn't have any desire to use my backup
cameras. I do feel good about it though. I feel is if this is a thing
the old timers know about like cleaning your shutter on your speed
graphic with lighter fluid. I felt like I had past some test and was now
a man. What do they call that?
Your results may vary. Check further first. I can see how popular I can
fast get around here with people turning screws in their Leicas and the
whole thing going to *&^%$. If you've read this far then their is no
helping you.
Mark Rabiner