Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V9 #18
From: TDSatty@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 23:16:13 EDT

>>A 35mm Summicron-M (#3240782) from ca. 1982 which I've owned and used
since about 1987 has developed a bit of "wiggle" just discernable in the
focus lever. If one grasps the front of the lens--or the hood--either
with lens mounted or especially when holding the lens in hand, motion is
quite discernable.<<

I have the same lens with the same problem.  Last Sat. my local dealer had a
clean & check, and I asked Brenda from Leica Service about it.  They put
lacquer on when assembling it, which prevents the lens portion from
unscrewing from the focusing mount.  Over time, the lacquer goes, especially
where people grab the lens by the hood, putting leverage on it.  Leica
Service will re-lacquer it for about $50, or do a full CLA including the
lacquer for about $100.

My questions to the group:

	1)  I have been an R user and just fell in love with the M system,
particularly for the weight difference for hiking, etc.  I have a currrent
model R 19mm.  Does anyone know how it compares optically  with the 21mm
Asp.?  Especially shooting into the sun?  I would have to sell the 19mm to
buy the 21 M.

	2)  I have enjoyed Erwin's reports on the group and his website.  I
have read references to an article he did comparing Leica images and
Hasselblad.  Anyone know where I may see that article?

Thanks,

Tom Schofield