Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: "demos"
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 30 May 1999 19:14:30 -0400

An interesting analogy is my enlarger, a Saunders/LPL DXL670.  Most
enlargers have adjustment screws that allow the user to make the negative
stage parallel to the easel.  My enlarger has none.  You would think that
this is a liability, except that in the 15 years that I have been using my
enlarger, prints made with it are sharply focused from corner to corner.
It was made parallel in the factory, and remains so.  The absence of
adjusting controls gives the enlarger no opportunity to go out of
alignment.   On the other hand, whenever I took darkroom workshops at a
local photography school, I would have to spend the first 1/2 hour trying
to get those Beselers into reasonable alignment.  Usually with only limited
success in the time available (I can identify at a glance a student made
print, man they are TOUGH on those enlargers!).

Dan C.

[snip]