Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 and the use of quick mounts?
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 08:58:46 -0700

"Henning J. Wulff" wrote:

> Pete Myers wrote:
>
> >I am not current subscribed due to my travels, so I would appreciate a direct
> >reply.
> >myerspete@aol.com
> >
> >I am considering jumping ranks of the R users to go with an M6 0.85. But I am
> >a monopod user and I am concerned about trying to find and use a quick mount
> >with the M6. Will I have to remove the quick mount each and every time I
> >re-load???? Or is there some way of getting around this problem.
>
> I use a Manfrotto #354 quick mount adaptor for my Leica and other 35 and
> 120 cameras. The platse are not particularly small, but the camera plate
> can be ground down with a Dremel tool to a size which fits on the baseplate
snip

You might find the M6 less of a monopod-obvious camera. You're not using
big fat long lenes on it for one. If you're using your Monopod also as a
cane maybe you could just work out a system where you just use a good
stylish cane not attached to your camera.
I'm glad my Bogen Monopod was so cheap cause I never use it and have
only used it with square format.
But I've often used a lightweight tripod with legs collapsed as a
Monopod. When the action slows I can extend the legs and not just get a
1/15th of a second but 15 seconds or 15 hours and so on. I like that
flexibility. I like the freedom of being able to look over my camera and
freely bracket and wait for other things to fly into the frame or for a
cloud to slightly move, zone focus, use different filters, lenes. A
Tripod speeds me up, I can really shoot.
Tripods are often thought of being the worst of any evil and an anchor
to ones lifestyle shooting style but it is in reality the most important
freeing tool in photography. More important than a camera whose job it
is to secure your quality lens to your quality tripod which is
ridiculous but I like to say it anyway.
That's my opinion and you didn't ask for it but you got it anyway. :)
Love,
11751321