Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W filters
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 16:03:10 +0000

Below is a snip out of another of today's messages. I think Mark the right
approch. Buy some cheap filters and try out for yourself. Be sure to shoot
pictures in pairs, one with filter and one without, because otherwise it is
hard to say afterwards what was the filter effect and what not.  I guess
that different films will react in a somewhat different way to the same
filter.

A few weeks ago I got an original Leitz orange  39 mm filter  for  $5.- at
a photo flea market. For that price I got a damaged outer thread  making it
impossible to put a second filter onto it, but I don't intend to do that
anyway.  BTW, orange darkens the sky considerably and exaggerates the
clouds. Can be very nice. Yellow filters do the same thing but to a much
lesser extent, dark yellow more than light yellow. There are general
explanations of what filters do, involving knowing what the complimentary
colour to the filter colour etc is. I think some of the filter
manufacturers have web sites with more straightforward details.

Here is the snip:
 -----I love spending a couple of bucks for some odd filter in a grab box but
to upgrade it on the long run.
Mark Rabiner----

>Hello all,
>
>With all this talk of filters, I realized that I dont use filters on my
>lens.  I mainly shoot black and white.. well, actually, I've never put color
>film in my M2.  Is it common for people to shoot black and white without any
>filter at all?  If they do use one, what is a good general purpose filter? I
>read that some recommend a yellow (which? light, medium, dark?) filter and
>others a yellow-green one.  Also, the lens I'm using is a 40 summicron, and
>I think it's supposed to use a series 5.5.  Does B+W still make Series 5.5
>filters?   I think those are the questions I have..
>
>Thanks all!

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58