Subject: Re: [Leica]Brown bottles; was Xtol long
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 12:33:44 +0000

>>My 5 liters went into 5 brown glass laboratory bottles which add a new
>>look to my darkroom. I made nifty labels for them with a label maker. I
>>have read the horror stories of almost clear film on news groups which
>>have shied me away this long. I'm going for it!
>>Before I run by trip shots I'm going to run some less important stuff
>>first and make sure my time is right and the developer hasn't croaked in
>>the night.
>>Mark Rabiner

This should work well for you. Has worked well for me the last year and a
half and three five litre packs. However, I did not get the fifth one liter
brown glass laboratory bottle  but instead I got one 500cc and two 250 cc
bottles. Any opened liter bottle gets filled into smaller bottles at once.
That way I never have any bottle with air and developer

If you need small bottles there is this guy from Norway who has a few to
sell (he wrote on the b&w darkroom forum). He fills his Xtol in (nominal)
125 cc bottles which take exactly the 140 cc he needs to make his 1+1
dilution for one film. For a five liter Xtol pack that makes 35 bottles
which he puts into his fridge. His problem was that he had to buy a full
box of bottles because no dealer would break one up for him, and these
boxes contained one hundred bottels, so his is now stuck with 65 surplus
125 cc bottles.

He never answered the question somebody put to him regarding what his wife
thought of having 35 brown Xtol bottles in the fridge. But who knows, he
may be single.....

And Mark: get rid of those plastic measuring jug and get glass ones. That
will give an even newer look to your darkroom.  :-)

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58